Software and Hardware
Candidates should demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of
the function, purpose and organisation of the hardware and software, and subsystems, used in a wide range of ICT systems and applications. This includes:
The use, function and purpose of:
- Personal computer systems, including desktop computers, laptops, personal digital assistants (PDA) and tablet computers and their component parts.
- A range of input devices, including mouse, joystick, keyboard, touch screen, scanner, microphone and sensors.
- A range of devices and media for backing storage, including floppy disks, zip disks and hard disks; CD-ROM, CD-Recordable (CD-R), CD-Rewriteable (CD-RW), DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-Recordable (DVD-R) and DVD-Rewriteable (DVD-RW).
- A range of devices for output, including screens, printers, speakers and actuators.
- Networks, including LANs, WANs and wireless networks, and their component parts; including file servers and modems.
- Network topology, including line and star. Client/server and peer- to- peer networks.